Major panels (75 min) and workshops (60 min) serve as the backbone of every #Law4thePeople Convention, and each year address timely topics of movement law and organizing. See below for the 2019 major panels and workshops that will take place Friday (10/18) through Sunday (10/20) of the convention, and register today!
NOTE: Schedule is subject to change.
FRIDAY, October 18
- Reparations and Self-Determination
- Expanding Democracy: Protecting the Right to Vote (CLE)
- How to Be a Radical Lawyer in Support of Abortion Access
- U.S. Exceptionalism and Responding to US Intervention Around the World
Major Panels I
- Organizing the South: Confronting Employers and the State to Build Worker Power
- Criminalizing Protest: Attacks on Black, Native, and Palestinian Resistance
- Centering Affected Communities in the Field of Impact Litigation (CLE)
SATURDAY, October 19
- Movement Security: How To Support Safety at Actions, Marches, and Rallies
- Defending Activists Against SLAPP Suits: What Litigators Need to Know (CLE)
- Legal Empowerment=Abolition: A Strategy to End Incarceration in the US
- #SexWorkIsWork: Decriminalization After SESTA-FOSTA (CLE)
Major Panels II
- National Prison Strikes: Legal Strategies for Defending Prisoner Activists (CLE)
- Movement Lawyering in the South (CLE)
- Gender Based Violence and its Relationship to Growing Fascism
SUNDAY, October 20
- Community Based Environmental Justice: CAFOs, Coal Ash, and Water
- Critical Race Theory (CLE)
- Legal Consequences of the US Occupation of Hawaii (CLE)
- Labor Strategies to Combat Authoritarian Regimes
- Struggle for Asylum, Legal Support, and Survival at the Mexico/US Border (CLE)
- Marijuana Reparations and the War on Drugs
- Hot Topic TBD
- Hot Topic TBD
Titles noted with “(CLE)” have CLE credit pending.
One additional “hot topic” workshop on Sunday TBA!